By Shreya Jha
Miss France Iris Mittinaere took the prestigious crown back home this time.
We are all aware of the famous Miss Universe pageant which is held every year. Along with Miss World and Miss Earth titles, it is the most telecasted events in the world.
This year the grand auditorium of Mall of Asia arena in Manila, Phillipines was the host to this prestigious beauty pageant. Miss Universe garnered a lot of attention last year because of the gaffe which the host Steve Harvey (a popular talk show host as well) committed. Taking a flashback to the error which he made.
Miss Columbia and Miss Phillipines were the finalists of the event.
Steve Harvey made the announcement that Miss Columbia has been declared the winner. She was given the crown and the sash and waved at the crowd for a while. After which Steve Harvey again came back to apologize for the MISTAKE which he had made. And the mistake was what we and Miss Columbia’s deepest fear could have been. The crown was to be taken away from her and given to Miss Phillipines, the actual winner.
Considering the amazing chaos which was created due to frenzied emotions last year…it was a sort of immense flashback to see Steve Harvey back on the stage as the host. It could not be helped imagining what if he again announces the wrong name?
But thankfully enough, nothing of this sort happened and he announced the correct name of Miss Universe title holder for 2017—MISS FRANCE IRIS MITTINAERE!
Take a look at highlights of this glittering event :
1. This year the prestigious Miss Universe pageant took place in Manila, Phillipines. It hosted the prestigious event for the 3rd time.
2. Manila is memorable for Indians because it was here that the first Miss Universe from India Sushmita Sen was crowned in the year 1994.
3. This year Sushmita Sen was one of the panelists and walked the ramp of Miss Universe for one last time. It was a moment of pride and honour for us to see her judging the event.
4. From India, Bengaluru based Roshmitha Harimurthy represented. However she failed to make it top 13.
5. The three finalists of Miss Universe 2017 were Miss Haiti, Miss Columbia and Miss France. Ms. Haiti was declared the first runner up and Ms Columbia the second runner up.
6. France is currently a student of dental surgery and is pursuing her degree in dentistry. Her main focus is on oral health and hygiene.
7. Miss Canada was one of the top 13 finalists of the event despite receiving some critical reviews regarding that she was weighty than most of the contestants. In a media interview she said very wisely that “This competition is more than what we look like. It’s about being comfortable with who we are.”
8. Pia Wurtzbach, Miss Universe 2016, from Phillipines crowned the new miss Universe from France, Iris Mittenaere. She becomes the second woman from France to win the title and first from Europe in more than decade.
9. Also it was memorable event for the African nation of Sierra Leone. It was for the first time that the country had made it to the Miss Universe pageant. Hawa Kamara made history by becoming the first woman to enter the Miss Universe pageant.
You May Also Like To Read:-
The Top 7 Superhero Movies To Watch Out For In 2017