After three (or four) short-lived years in an undergraduate course, all the graduates have this one question in mind – What next?
The ones who have a job offer in hand can sit back and relax until their date of joining.
The ones preparing for various competitive exams, meanwhile, put their feet down on the accelerator and work day and night to get through.
There are some, however, who plan to enroll themselves in Delhi University for a postgraduate (PG) course as well. Thus, for those seeking admissions in PG courses, here’s everything you need to know about the DU PG Admissions 2019:
First things first, the registration process, which is mandatory for all the candidates looking to seek admission in PG courses, has started from 3rd June 2019 onwards. The last date to register is 17th June 2019. You can register here.
Just like the undergraduate courses, there are plenty of postgraduate courses offered by the University of Delhi. Here’s a complete list of courses offered:
Faculty of Arts: The faculty of Arts is offering M.A. in
- Buddhist Studies,
- French, German,
- Hispanic, Sociology,
- Political Science,
- Social Work,
- Comparative Indian Literature, Tamil, Persian,
- Applied Psychology,
- Russian Studies,
- Environmental Studies,
- Japanese, East Asian Studies, and
Faculty of Commerce: The faculty of Commerce is offering M.Com.
Faculty of Science: The faculty of Science is offering M.Sc. in
- Environmental Studies,
- Food and Nutrition,
- Human Development and Childhood studies,
- Fabric and Apparel Science,
- Mathematics Education,
- Plant Molecular Biology, and
- Computer Science,
- Forensic Science,
Music: M.A. in
- Carnatic Music,
- Hindustani Music, and
- Percussion Music.
1. Age –
There is no minimum age bar for admission to the Postgraduate Courses in the University and its colleges except in the courses where the respective regulatory bodies have prescribed the minimum age requirement in their respective regulations.
2. Qualifying Examinations –
The eligibility for sitting in the qualifying examination (i.e. the entrance test) varies from course to course.
Details on the same are given in Annexure – VI (from page number 54 onwards) of the PG Bulletin of Information 2019-20.
3. Reservation and Relaxation –
The University strictly adheres to Central Government Policies in matters of Reservation and Relaxation, and in order to avail the same under EWS / OBC / SC / ST quota a candidate has to produce a valid certificate issued by any of the regulatory authorities.
More details on this can be found in Section 2.4 (page number 18) of the PG Bulletin of Information 2019-20.
- All the candidates seeking admission to the Postgraduate (PG) courses are required to register online.
- There is a common Web Portal dedicated to the Registration of applicants and a common Application Form for admission to all the Postgraduate Courses in the University. Online Registration details are available on the following link of PG Admission Portal: http://www.du.ac.in.
- In case you are a first time user, you will be asked to register on the portal to access the PG Admission Portal.
- Remember to note both your username and password safely, because you will need it to access your account on the portal as well as for all the formalities to be completed during the admission process.
- Once the registration is complete, login to the portal with your username and password and complete the application form.
- You will be asked to upload a passport size photograph as well as a copy of an identity proof, which could be any of the following documents – Aadhaar Card / Voter‘s Identity Card / PAN Card / Passport / Driving License.
- Once done, submit the application by clicking on the ‘Submit My Profile’ button at the bottom.
- Thereafter, proceed with “Apply in New Course” and fill in all the required details, as well as the admission criteria (i.e. Merit-Based, Entrance-Based or Both, as applicable)
- After selecting the course, save your application and proceed to pay the application fees. The application Fee can be paid through any one of the available online payment options: Net Banking, Debit Card, Credit Card, and UPI.
- The application fee is as follows:
- For Unreserved and OBC candidates: Rs. 750
- For SC, ST, PwD and EWS candidates: Rs. 300
- Take care to pay the application fees, since the application will be considered complete only after the realization of online payment.
- Another important pointer to note is that in case you wish to apply in more than one course, you will have to fill a separate application form for each course and pay the application fee for the same.
- Few more important pointers:
- Fill the application form carefully, as any changes in the form after its submission is chargeable.
- Application Fee once deposited will not be refunded/adjusted in any circumstances.
Mode of Admission
All the Departments of the University, except those that offer inter-disciplinary or professional courses, have two modes of admission for Postgraduate Courses:
- MERIT-BASED: 50% of the total seats will be filled on the basis of the applicants‘ merit in the Qualifying Examination. Wherever applicable, MERIT BASED option is open only for the applicants who have eligible Bachelor Degree from the University of Delhi.
- ENTRANCE TEST BASED: Remaining 50% of the total seats will be filled on the basis of applicants‘ rank in Entrance Test and Interview/Group Discussion, if any
Irrespective of the mode of admission, you will have to mandatorily register online on the admission portal, the process of which is explained above.
Each Department of the University will release separate Admission Lists in both modes.
Image Credits: Google Images
Sources: DU Information Bulletin
Find the blogger at @manas_ED
You’d also like to read: