You wake up and the constant nagging of your mother begins. Tidy up your room! Don’t sit in front of the TV! You’re good for nothing! is all you hear.
I am sure most of us face this. And well you just sit and ponder about why the hell should I do all of this in my vacations? Why on Earth should I be doing ANYTHING, for that matter?
Its not long before you are labeled as being lazy and lethargic. So let me claim with utmost pride today that I am lazy and I am kind of proud of it.I love being me! Sitting and doing nothing for hours; eating, sleeping, watching movies et al.
All this becomes more evident if you’re a girl. You suddenly become the center of all expectations.
You are expected to do household chores so that you’re well prepared to please your future mother-in- law as if the only motto of your life is to keep your mother-in- law happy. It becomes much worse when parents think that the in- laws will blame them of not teaching their daughters anything.
For all those who think that all this doesn’t happen in today’s so called modern world, it very much does!
Why should I learn things and carry forward the legacy of the traditional role of women being restricted to the kitchen and the house?
Can we actually call ourselves developed and liberal if mentality like this still prevails in the society?
In this era of equality, why are girls still brandished as being the home makers? Why do I have to cook even when I don’t like to?
Life is simple, why complicate!
Do whatever you want, live on your terms, be crazy, take chances, explore, enjoy and make the most of your life.
After all you only live once and if you do it well, once is enough!
Believe in yourself because nobody can be YOU!
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Not every girl wants to get married by 23. So before you ASSUME she’s of marriageable age, ask her what her views on marriage are. One hint might save you the drama- just because she does not want to get married now, doesn’t mean she never will. She has other plans for herself right now, let her live a little.
- Just because a girl wishes to do her PhD after Masters doesn’t mean she doesn’t want to settle down in life. Give her a break and respect that she has the confidence to take that up because PhD is no joke. There will come a point when she will happily devote herself to her family and balance it out with her work life. Her degrees or lack of them won’t make any difference. Let her study while she wants to, okay?
- Just because she is 27 and unmarried doesn’t mean she’s been rejected by many men. Maybe, being single is a choice she has made.
- Having a boyfriend doesn’t make her characterless.
- Just because she has recently gone through a breakup doesn’t mean she is vulnerable and available.
- Just because most of her friends are boys doesn’t mean she is ‘having a good time’ with all of them.
- Just because she has a drink in her hand doesn’t mean she’s an alcoholic.
- Just because she wore a short skirt to one party doesn’t mean she dresses up like that everyday.
- Just because she’s ambitious doesn’t mean she isn’t a family person.
- Just because she doesn’t discuss her plans doesn’t mean she’s clueless about life. Give her a chance, alright?
- Just because she’s outspoken doesn’t mean she’s a rebel.
- Just because she comes home late from work doesn’t mean she is sleeping around with her colleagues.
- After a hectic week, give her some time to relax over the weekend.
- Just because she’s out shopping alone doesn’t mean she is depressed or lonely. Its how she relaxes, respect that!
- Just because she’s on a holiday alone doesn’t mean she doesn’t have company. Maybe it’s a break to get back her lost confidence or maybe that’s how she is. Admire her spirit instead of giving her advice.
- Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she can’t kick ass in military school.
- Just because she has a tattoo doesn’t mean she’s attention seeking. Maybe that’s her way of expression.
- Just because she doesn’t know how to cook doesn’t mean she won’t make a good wife.
- Just because she likes shiny, fluffy and colourful stuff doesn’t mean she lives in her own world. She can handle some situations much better than her male counterparts.
- Just because she’s pretty doesn’t mean she’s a whore. And just because she is friendly doesn’t mean she’s flirting with you.
Yes we cry, we are emotional: we take things personally and sometimes over react to situations. But this doesn’t give anyone the right to judge us in the wrong way.
Times are changing; don’t confine her within those boundaries, no matter how orthodox you are.
There are some who might be fighting this losing battle, yet compromising on their decisions and plans just to please the society.