By Anusha Majumdar
Recently, as I was sifting through the pages of a national newspaper and trying to assimilate the bland and boring developments, I stumbled upon a news article about an Indian doctor, Ramamurthy Kosanam being rescued from the clutches of ISIS after 2 years of captivity.
That’s such a rare happening considering the general consensus that ANYONE captured by the ISIS is almost always considered to have written his/her own death warrant in advance! Intrigued, I delved into the details of the rescue.
Kosanam, a doctor from Eluru, Andhra Pradesh was working as a general physician at Lbn-e-Sina hospital at Sirte, Libya in 2015 when a group of ISIS militants entered the hospital and kidnapped him along with three other people.
He was freed as a result of rigorous negotiation done by the Indian government. He was recently released by the terrorist group and reached India last Saturday. Kosanam said, “I personally thank Prime Minister Narendra Modi and National Security Adviser Ajit Kumar Doval”.
Ajit Doval…the name had a familiar ring. Piqued, I started googling him up and it went on as a never ending quest. I felt as if I was watching a whole lot of James Bond movies! Such was the audacity of his daredevil exploits! I swelled with pride as I continued reading through his escapades.
Here are a few noteworthy achievements of India’s National Security Adviser – Ajit Doval:
– He was the youngest police officer ever to get the Indian Police Medal for meritorious service. He was also the first police officer to be awarded the Kirti Chakra. *CLAPS*
– In the 1980s, Mizoram National Front was breaking India’s back with the insurgency. Doval is renowned to have infiltrated the underground Mizo National Front, weaned away half a dozen of its top commanders and all but broke the back of MNF. He spent long periods of time incognito with the Mizo National Army in Burma and inside Chinese territory. Now, that requires a lot of courage to enter a hostile, foreign territory!
– Doval spent 7 years as a secret operative in Pakistan, posing as a Pakistani Muslim in Lahore. Reportedly, he was on a mission to bring India’s most wanted man and terrorist Dawood Ibrahim back to India. Whoa! Apt for him to be hailed as the James Bond of India! Here’s a video in which Doval shares his experience while spying in Pakistan’s Lahore city
– Doval played a major role in infamous Operation Blue Star, a highly controversial military operation carried out by the Indian government to repress Sikh minorities in 1984. He was in the Golden Temple weeks before, in disguise, and had insidiously gained access to the Sikh defence strategy and plans, their intel, reinforcements available to them and other valuable information instrumental in carrying out the attack. Gear yourself up for Mission Impossible VI!!
– He is also known to have a hand in Sri Lanka’s last presidential elections wherein former Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa was replaced by Maithripala Sirisena. Reportedly, this is because Rajapaksa was seen as a nuisance to India as he was getting too cosy with China. After all, a National Security Advisor with a string of exploits is certainly not a pushover!
– On 24 December 1999, Indian Airlines Flight 814 en route from Kathmandu to India, was hijacked and taken to Kandahar. 176 passengers and 15 crew members on board IC-814 were taken hostage by the militants of Harkat- Ul- Mujahideen. Doval had been India’s chief negotiator with the hijackers. He also played a role in the termination of all 15 hijackings of Indian Airlines aircraft between 1977 and 1999. This is NOT child’s play for sure!
– As a National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval played a crucial role in ensuring the safe return of 45 nurses from Iraq, when the nation was under fire from ISIS. Reportedly, he personally went to Iraq to make sure that the Indian citizens were brought back safely. Such nerve!
The James Bond of India- Ajit Doval
With the likes of people like him guarding India, no wonder every nation thinks twice before messing with us!
Image Credits: Google Images
Would you like to share your opinion and discuss more on the matter? Then add us on Snapchat and we could hit up an interesting conversation. Click the link below to add Economy Decoded on Snapchat.
Love Matters India is an online platform that provides blush-free information and news about sexuality and sexual health for 18 to 30-year-olds in India. They are the first bilingual (English and Hindi) sexual health website in India with open, honest and non-judgmental attitude towards all topics related to love, sex, relationships and everything in between. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
SheThePeople is a video story telling space that inspires women, strengthens their efforts, exchanges leadership ideas, fosters networking and reinforces their ability to contribute to growth. Through their special videos on SheThePeople.TV they are presenting the modern Indian woman a platform to discuss and share the challenges faced by this up-tapped leadership community. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
Twitter brings you closer to what you care about. Get on an exclusive chat with Twitter’s Aneesh Madani through ED. Follow him @aneeshmadani.
The Harvard US India Initiative aims to empower the youth and promote awareness about India’s most pressing issues. Don’t forget to follow them on Facebook.
Social Samosa is the only online publication reporting trends, insights and breaking stories on social media marketing.